Before dental implant surgery
The following instructions are to be read and followed carefully before your dental implant surgery.
- You should not eat anything after midnight the night before your procedure or 6 to 8 hours before surgery, or drink anything apart from some water (no coffee, milk etc). If you regularly take medications prescribed by your physician, you can take them with a small sip of water.
- It is required that a responsible adult accompany you to the appointment and escort you home following your surgery. You might be drowsy from the anesthesia and your reactions may be slow which will not make you a safe pedestrian.
- Please wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing with short sleeves (T-shirts), and low-heeled shoes (sneakers). Do not wear tights, leggings or skinny jeans. Please do not wear nail polish, lipstick or make-up. If you wear contact lenses, please leave them out or have the things needed to remove them prior to surgery. Please remove all jewelry (bracelets, rings, watches, earrings, piercings, etc.).
- If you regularly take medications (such as high blood pressure medicine) prescribed by your physician, you should take them as prescribed, unless you are told otherwise. During your visit, your current medications will be reviewed by Dr. Montano. He will discuss with you your medications on the day of your procedure. Take tablets or pills with a small sip of water. If you use inhalers, please bring them with you.
- Ideally, cut down or stop smoking prior to the day of surgery.
- If you develop an illness such as a cold, sore throat, cough, upset stomach or bowels, please notify the office as soon as possible. Your procedure with IV sedation or with general anesthesia may need to be rescheduled.
- You will need time to recover from the medications after anesthesia. You should return to your accommodation and lie down with your head elevated until all of the effects of the anesthetic agents have disappeared. Anesthetic effects vary per person. You may feel drowsy for a short period of time or for several hours. Limit your activity for the rest of the day.
- Do not drive a motor vehicle, operate any machinery (such as kitchen appliances, lawn mower, power tools, etc.), or drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours after anesthesia. Do not make important decisions or sign legal documents.
Questions or concerns? Please contact us.