“The blood that runs through your tooth will run through your toe within one minute.” Timothy A. Kersten, D.D.S.
The common fillings most people have in their teeth are a mixture of silver, copper, tin, and zinc with an equal amount of mercury. Most people are not aware that their fillings contain more than 50% mercury. Hence the word “amalgam”. Dr. Javo Pleva has measured the amount of mercury in five-year-old fillings and found it to be 27% mercury. How do you know when the mercury is gone? The fillings fall out!!!
Where does this mercury go?
Part of it comes off the surface of a filling in the form of vapor. As we inhale, this vapor enters the lungs and can be absorbed into the bloodstream. As we eat, it is incorporated into our food, is swallowed, digested, and then absorbed into our bloodstream. From the bloodstream, mercury has access to all parts of our body.
There is another concern. Mercury is toxic. It is a poison in its liquid and vapor forms, but there is one form that is even worse a chemical form called Methyl Mercury.
Specific bacteria are required to convert mercury into even more deadly methyl mercury. Thomas EyL M.D. calls methyl mercury “one of the most potent and insidious poisons in existence”. Methyl Mercury is considered to be 100 times more toxic (especially to the nervous system) than liquid or vapor mercury.
There are many strains of bacteria that can hook methyl groups to mercury. The process is called Methylation
Where do they live?
By an unhappy coincidence, the bacteria are in the mouth on the surface of those fillings that give off mercury vapor.
Streptococcus Mutans, Streptococcus Sanquis, and Stelptococcus Viridians in the mouth can do this. Perhaps as many as a dozen different bacteria in the intestinal tract can also methylate mercury. Some common bacteria that can do this are Streptococcus, E. Coli, some Yeast. Lactobacillus and Bacteroides. Another interesting thing about these methylating bacteria is that they both methylate and demethylate depending on the chemistry of the intestinal contents.
Under microscopic analysis, the surface of a tooth resembles a sponge; very porous. Whatever is placed on the surface can easily be absorbed by the thousands of microscopical tubules within the tooth. 35 % of all Streptococcal infections are antibiotic-resistant.
After Mercury and/or Methyl Mercury enter the body, what damage can it do?
It can cause the following:
- Combine with enzymes and proteins and inactivate them for normal body function.
- It can take up space. In other words, combine with a transport system like hemoglobin so it cannot act its normal function. In the case of hemoglobin, the result would be decreased oxygen transport.
- It can be combined with other metals in the common silver filling creating a battery in the mouth capable of generating electrical current.
- Mercury very easily enters our body’s cells and can destroy the DNA or nuclear material within those cells. This can lead to premature aging or reduce resistance. Normal cells live for a short span, then duplicate themselves. Mercury injured cells die without replacing themselves.
There are 5 basic areas where amalgam removal has been associated with improvements in health. They are:
- NEUROLOGICAL (referring to the nervous system) is divided into two subdivisions. A. Emotional (especially depression, irritability, suicidal tendencies, inability to cope). B. Motor (such as multiple sclerosis, seizures facial twitches, muscle spasms)
- CARDIOVASCULAR (endocarditis, heart, valves, or lungs)
COLLAGEN DISEASES (Problems with the cementing substances of the cells such as scleroderma, arthritis, lupus, bursitis)
- IMMUNOLOGICAL (how well your body’s defense mechanisms are working for you). Your immune system produces antibodies to destroy invaders that try to generate your cells to fight off bacterial infections. Interference here gives you more susceptibility to catching whatever diseases are “going around.”
- ALLERGIES (foods, Airbourne, universal reactors). Mercury in combination with what you are “allergic to” will rupture white blood cells and can precipitate what is called an allergic reaction. Elimination of one of the two factors can help control the situation.
- There are several recent studies on the longevity of amalgams that show only half of them placed survived for 5 years. This makes us think that amalgam is not as durable as touted, but it will still outlast composite and possibly the patient if the patient is sensitive to the mercury in the amalgam.
Fillings have two types of electrical current in them, electro-positive and electro-negative. Experience has shown that when positively charged fillings are removed while leaving negative ones behind, the patient often feels worse. Sometimes this lasts up to two weeks. More importantly, their chances for improvement drop drastically. If negatively charged fillings are removed first there are not many “withdrawal” feelings and chances for success tend to approach the 80% mark.
With scientific technology now on the cutting edge, research on Bioelectricity and its effects on the body is just now being looked at.
Should everyone run out and have all their mercury fillings removed?
No. First of all, this would be impossible because there are not enough dentists to do the work. Second, even though mercury is harmful, it affects different people in different ways. Some react to a very minor extent.
Those people can probably retain their fillings with a minimal (unnoticeable) amount of damage. Others are so sensitive that they have severe reactions, like epileptic seizures, within a few months of placement. Those are the people who should consider amalgam removal. The hypersensitive people (a proven 68% of our population) who have one of the diseases from the five divisions mentioned earlier are the people who should be given the opportunity to have mercury removed if they desire it.